Monday, June 4, 2012

Another Skirt Redo

Last week I gave a brief description of how to take up an elastic waist skirt. Today, I wanted to do an elaborate tutorial on how to take up a skirt with a flat waistband.  I started out altering the skirt and documenting all the steps with photos.  Then I decided I wanted to wear the skirt to a party that evening, so I had to dispense with the photo taking and get down to the taking in. I will give a quick description of what I did.  No photos though, some other time.




Maxi Skirt Before



This works best with gathered skirts. Straight skirts such as pencil skirts would take a little more work. With a pencil skirt, you would have to take out fabric for a good fit. With a gathered skirt, you can just make it more gathered and redo the band.  Simply:

Step 1. Remove the waistband.

Step 2. Gather the skirt to fit. If you can find the original thread ends, pull them to increase the gather of the skirt and decrease it's circumference. If you can't find the thread ends, simply sew a new line around the skirt. Use a long stitch with less tension, then use the new thread ends to increase the gather.

Step 3. Reattach waistband and trim any excess.  





maxi skirt after


Jacket - Mossimo, Thrifted
Tank - BDG, Urban Outfitters
Skirt - Vintage, Thrifted, Altered
Necklace - Vintage, Thrifted
Belt - Thrifted
Sandals - Gianni Bini, Dillard's



1 comment:

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Unusual Form