Friday, August 12, 2011

Pattern Mixed Dating

I may be the last person in the world to figure this out, but did you know that several mainstream brands are dated with the season and year they were made? I guess this is how Plato's Closet employees know to reject Gap jeans from Spring 2009. Dude, two year old Gap jeans look pretty much the same as new Gap jeans. I digress. 

Anyway, to find the date all you have to do is look on the tag (usually the side tag where it also states the washing instructions, material, etc). A little reconaisance work in my closet revels that Gap, Banana, Old Navy, J. Crew, American Eagle, The Limited, and Eddie Bauer all do this kind of labeling.

This may not be life altering information, but it could prove helpful for figuring out how long you've owned something or determining the age of something you find in a thrift store.

Example 1: The other day I wore a black silk blouse from Banana Repulic. It's side tag says "HOL/06" which would be Holiday Collection 2006. I probably bought this shirt at the end of 06. Wow! 4.5 years. That's practically a senior citizen in my closet.

Example 2: Today's Outfit. Both pieces are thrifted. The top is from Banana Republic. It's tag says "06/fall". Pretty self explanatory. The skirt is from Gap. It says "SUM 10" and "05/10". It was probably part of the Summer 2010 collection which they actually sold in May.

I'm very rarely filled with insider knowledge. I'm not sure this was "inside" to begin with, but if you didn't know this hopefully you'll find it helpful or at least interesting. If you did know this, let me know in the comments. I'm curious to find out if this is common knowledge that I've just missed out on thus far.



2011-08-12

The pattern on this skirt is so subtle, I really should have got a detail shot.  However, the creepy guy next door was out having his morning smoke break, so I did not want to linger.

Shirt - Banana Republic, Thrifted (Unblogged)
Skirt - Gap, Thrifted (Unblogged)
Necklace - Coldwater Creek
Belt and Flats - Thrifted

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Unusual Form