Sunday, January 23, 2011

Call to Arms for Wardrobe Freedom

Something Liz wrote about a couple of weeks ago really struck a chord with me. She wrote about trophy pieces, those pieces that you wear once for a special occasion, then proceed to hang up and never wear again. Liz's goal of putting these pieces to better use has inspired me to do the same with the trophy pieces in my wardrobe.

While this tank is not necessarily a trophy piece (I've worn it more than once), I have always relegated it to summer time with a white mini skirt. I've literally had this top for three years and that is the only way/time, I've ever worn it. Why limit this beautiful top to one kind of outfit in one season? The sherbety color might seem to suggest summer, but layered with a jewel tone cardigan and a tough belt, it definitely can work for winter.

When you limit how and when you wear an item of clothing, you are really limiting your wardrobe options. When I say these are summer clothes and those are winter clothes, I automatically reduce my options by 50%. Without these crazy arbitrary rules, your wardrobe seems much more plentiful. Let's all make a new rule for ourselves, all the items in our closet are fair game, all the time. After all we're the ones who bought them in the first place, we should be able to wear them any time we want, in any way we want.


Outfit 01.23.11
Cardigan - Thrifted
Tank - Anthropologie
Pants - Banana Republic
Boots - Vintage, Thrifted
Necklace - Vintage, Great Aunt's
Bracelets - Vintage
Belt - Thrifted

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Unusual Form